Thursday, June 7, 2018

Copenhagen...Happiness, one of the same.

The first day on a long journey is the toughest. Anticipation, apprehension, and general exhaustion from following rules and navigating with tight quarters always tests my patience. I never can wait to walk into our first nights hotel room and crash...this time for twelve hours. Oh what a relief it is.


I'm not cranky about travel in general, since 911 the airline industry following the foolish directives of our government has removed all the luster and the fun adventure of getting to your destination. I just don't want to remove my belt in front of 500 people. I do have trouble keeping my trousers up to an acceptable level without synching my belt. When that support is removed I'm destined to hike up my pants twice before scanning, once in the scanner, and another waiting for the conveyor to deliver all my valuables. This is a good run...if I am selected to get the pat down treatment...well I leave my pantalones to fate.

Enough of this airport silliness. After getting my energy recharged with a battle for breakfast also know as the breakfast buffet, we decided to take advantage of this perfect day to take a two mile walk which turned into ten, to the famous "Little Mermaid" bronze on the water's edge of Copenhagen's harbor. Our journey included slicing through the multiple squares linked by lanes peppered with fit Danish cyclists and cautious courtesy drivers of German automobiles. At 9 the stores hadn't quite opened but window displays were evidence enough we entered a wealthy area of gardens and vintage five story architecture. After getting a bit lost we soon entered the extreme tourist bus zone. The shuffling hoards were near ground zero of Copenhagen's Tourist Zone. It's very cute to see elderly adults clamoring down the rocks seeking to be very close to this sweet chick of the sea. Far East visitors branding selfie sticks like sabers fighting to get that bad image of their faces with Little Mermaid' After our thirty second visit with Den Lillie Havfrue, Sharon and I decided to visit the Denmark Museum of Design.





The museum encompasses all things of Danish design not excluding tooth brushes. I admit I'm a true sucker for Mid Century teakwood Danish furniture. Both Sharon and I believe these people have sat in style for centuries. It was a bit past noon when we found a sweet table in an open garden doorway. This allowed a heavenly breeze to occasionally drift in along with lines from actors rehearsing a play in the courtyard. We each ordered two small funny sandwiches crafted in a delightful danish design and complimented them with a Jacobson Ale.






Directions back to our hotel were a bit misguided but it didn't matter because every turn was an adventure. Soon we retreated to our hotel for a mid afternoon respite.

Beautiful walkways and cafes add to the visual enjoyment

 The planetarium on the left.
The space cadet above.

1 comment: